Lots and lots of them. The last time I checked, I had 8 students signed up for dissertation research with me in a single term. That’s actually down a bit…
I’ve known for some time that I need to somehow streamline the information that I share with students. I always worry that I provide some information to some students but forgot to give others with the same information. There is just so much to remember to tell them!
For that reason, I was determined to make my assignments for PedagogyFirst, weeks 15 and 16, count. It was my chance to do something that actually could benefit dissertation students! If I was going to take the time to develop a screencastomatic and an FAQ, which I probably wouldn’t normally do for the blended types of courses I’ve been teaching lately, I wanted them to be useful. Not to mention the fact that it would be nice not to have to say the same thing 8 different times in one semester!
The challenge was that making it useful meant that I had figure out how to post this information. It didn’t fit in which the blog structure I had developed. Did I need a separate blog? Did I need to add pages to the one I had? How do I even add pages to pages? I found even thinking about it daunting.
I don’t know if I made the right call, and I may well change my mind down the road, but I decided ultimately to add pages to my existing blog, in large part because I’m not sure I really blog enough to make another one work!
So here is my main page with three reconsidered/reconfigured pages. The one called Major dissertation information contains new content that I developed for this assignment. In the section titled parts of a dissertation proposal, I embedded a screencastomatic in which I demonstrate how to use ERIC to find empirical research articles. I also developed an FAQ to include.
I would be truly pleased to have suggestions for other information dissertation students might need as well as suggestions for other questions they might have!